Transportation and Field Specialist
We have openings for Transportation & Field Specialists. These positions will be field-based, driving vacuum tankers, box truck and van trailers. You will run multiple loads during the daytime, traveling to and from customer sites and disposal facilities. This position would be responsible for identifying types of waste, collecting samples, labeling, manifesting, and the safe transportation of bulk and non-bulk waste.
To be successful in this role, you must be attentive to details and able to interact well with NEI’s customers.
This position will be based out of NEI’s office in Greenfield, Indiana. A standard work day is 8 hours with occasional
overtime and sporadic weekend work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate a vacuum tanker, box truck or 53’ Van Trailer
- Maintain CDL (A) driving classification including Haz Mat and Tanker endorsements
- Maintain hazmat, tanker, HAZWOPER, and Confined Space endorsements.
- Responsible for efficiently managing all waste streams loaded onto the transportation vehicle
- Transport waste and recycle materials to disposal and recycle facilities
- Provide onsite support services at customer facilities
- Manage documents associated with EPA, IDEM and DOT regulations
- Work as part of an industrial contractor team and be capable of operating a pressure washer as part of a confined space team
- Adhere to all DOT rules and other transportation regulations at all times.
- Adhere to all safety procedures at all times which includes all proper PPE designated by NEI and its customers.
- Check equipment prior to start-up and assess start-up performance.
- Monitor the maintenance and performance of NEI equipment.
- Maintains service vehicle and tools for cleanliness and proper operation
- Assess basic mechanical problems and take actions to resolve promptly.
- Respond to unplanned events and solve customer technical problems as they are identified, requested, or arise, all while maintaining positive customer relations.
- Engages with customer in a courteous and professional manner. Ensures prompt and efficient attention to customer needs.
- Continuously look for opportunities that benefit both NEI and the customer.
- Escalates unresolved issues to Supervisor.
- Report to Supervisor when no field service work is available.
- Collaborate with rest of NEI team to develop and adhere to standard operating procedures and make suggestions for modifications in a commitment to continuous improvement programs.
- High school diploma or GED
- 4+ Year of Experience Required
- Have and maintain a valid class A CDL preferably with HAZMAT endorsement and current HAZWOPER training.
- Must know basic DOT regulations and preferred general knowledge about industrial waste
- Able to operate a pallet jack and/or fork lift moving drums, skids of material and totes.
- Able to move, with dolly or other mechanical assistance, drums weighing upwards of 750 lbs. or more.
- Able to lift 50 lbs or more.
- Familiar with basic Microsoft office functions (Word, Excel) in order to complete time sheets and expense reports
- Ability to detect and differentiate colors
- Able to clearly communicate both orally and in writing
- Must be good at solving problems with other people
- Able to remain calm and even-tempered in the face of challenges, demands, and deadlines
- Must be a self-starter with good follow-through, capable of working independently with little supervision