Large Quantity Generators (LQG’s) of RCRA hazardous waste are required to submit a biennial report every other year. The report includes data on waste types, amounts, management methods, etc. Here’s what the data tells us:
- On a national basis, hazardous waste generation has been fairly steady over the last 8 years at approximately 35 million tons per year. That’s a lot of hazardous waste!
- Indiana consistently ranks in the top 10 for the amount of hazardous waste generated
- Indiana ranked #6 in the amount of hazardous waste generated (almost a million tons!)
- Texas was #1
- Indiana ranked #7 in the number of reporting generators (834 facilities)
- California was #1
- Indiana ranked #3 in the amount of hazardous waste received from other states
- Ohio was #1
- Indiana ranked #18 in the number of hazardous waste recyclers
- Washington was #1
A variety of factors can affect the data from year to year, but the information is useful to identify trends and serve as a framework for improvement. Individual facilities are also included in the report. Please contact NEI for assistance with any aspect of waste management, including data analysis and reporting.
317-894-8373 or firstname.lastname@example.org